Friday, November 17, 2006

International Education Week @ UMD

This week is International Education Week (IEW) from November 12 to November 17. IEW is a celebration of international education and exchange. During this week schools and other organizations celebrate cultural exchange and education in different ways. For example, they have International Dinner on Monday, International Experience & Your Career on Wednesday, and Cultural Fair on Friday.

MEI students contribute to the diversity of their country. Today, we have a successful exhibit for this event. Our group prepares a lot of snack and Chinese food for this fair. In our group, we work together on a project but doing different things. Jimmy and Cindy make a snake – Mua Chee. Mua Chee is a sticky rice cakes and a specialty of Hualien, Taiwan. Cindy’s speaker partner, Tiffany, who is American-Taiwan, gives us a great favor. She gives us the materials to make pearl milk tea (Bubble Tea). Candy brings some Chinese Tie. The Chinese Tie is a symbol with luck and propitious. Most Chinese families put Chinese Tie in their house. Even seem a little bit of superstition. Of course, my husband give me a hand, he prepares Rice Noodles for this fair. The snake and food go over very well.

This album is powered by
BubbleShare
- Add to my blog

4 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, Blogger Hiromi said...

Hello, Jennifer! I had a good time reading your post about IEW. I wish I were there because it sounds really interesting! Also, it's a nice opportunity to know about the cultures that you've only heard of, isn't it?

Also, I liked the pictures! The pictures of your son made me smile!

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Sunghye said...

Jennifer, you took a lo of pictures. I should have taken pictures! And nice to meet your lovely family! Say hello to David!

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger John said...

Jennifer,
I had some Taiwanese acquaintances in Arizona who invited me to their apartment for dinner; they served (along with many other delicious kinds of food) Mua Chee. I hadn't thought about that in a long time, and your post brought back that nice memory to me. I wish we had an International Education Week at our university here.

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Cindy said...

WOW, Jennifer, you took a lot of pictures. All of pictures are so nice. I think your son was very happy on that day. ^^

 

Post a Comment

<< Home